Here are a few tips to help you through the month of March:
1. There are several annuals that can be planted now. A couple of those include snapdragons, sweet William, and dianthus. These provide beautiful color in beds.
2. It is a good time to feed cool-season grasses such as fescue and blue grass. Be sure you use the right fertilizer and the correct amount.
3. Thin out the oldest canes of shrub roses before the leaf buds break open. Be sure to leave the young, vigorous wood. Also, remove any canes that are crossed. Prune back all remaining canes to 15 inches.
4. For spring-flowering shrubs, wait until after they bloom to prune. If you prune them before they have bloomed this Spring, you will remove all of this year’s flowerbuds. It is also a good time to plant these, if you are looking for Spring-flowering shrubs in your Raleigh landscaping.
5. Dig and divide overcrowded perennials.
These are just a few tips to help your Raleigh landscaping this March. Don’t let the To-Do list overwhelm you! DesignScapes’ experts can help you take care of your landscaping and get it ready for Spring. Give us a call today at 919-844-3441 or use our contact form here.