January Gardening Checklist for Your Raleigh Landscaping
1. January is a good time for cleanup. While this isn’t the most colorful time of year for your Raleigh Landscaping garden, keeping it tidy will help show the subtle features of the season. Blowing or raking out leaves, cutting back browned perennials, and adding mulch are just a few things you can do to help spruce up your beds.
2. Houseplants need close attention on cold nights. Sensitive leaves can be killed if they touch the windowpane. Closing the curtains or blinds and pulling plants away from the window can help protect them.
3. Winter is a good time to plan your gardens and prepare the soil for new beds. Adding compost or other organic matter will help enrich the soil.
4. It is also a good time for planting and transplanting trees and shrubs in your Raleigh Landscaping. The roots are active and the weather is not as demanding. You will want to make sure they are well watered throughout the coming year to ensure their survival.
5. Watering is important, even during the winter. Plants can still dry out during the colder months. Water plants well when cold fronts are predicted, because after the soil has frozen, roots cannot supply moisture to the leaves.
DesignScapes is ready to help you with winter care for your landscaping. Please contact us today using our contact form here or giving us a call at 919-844-3441!